Monday, March 2, 2009

Oasis Hong Kong Airways

Hi there fellow budget travelers.

Apologies for the delay in getting this new post to you, I've been away in the South West of Western Australia for a few days.

Today's post is unfortunately about an Asian budget airline that went belly up.

See the link above in the title for more background information on Oasis Hong Kong Airways.

I flew this airline from Hong Kong to London and back in June 2007.

I have to be honest and say that my first experience on Oasis was rather disappointing.

Check in and boarding were fine, no dramas there, and I even managed to get an exit row seat that gave me plenty of leg room.

My main concern was the width of the seat and the fact that the on-board entertainment system decided that day that it didn't want to work.

Lucky for me I was extremely tired, and managed to sleep most of the way to London.

This was after flying Perth to Singapore, spending about 6 hours walking around Singapore, then flying Singapore to Hong Kong.

I was fortunate enough to have done some research into facilities at Hong Kong Airport and found that there is a pay-as-you-go business lounge. This gave me the chance to grab some food and drinks, have a shower and a massage, and rest up on the comfy lounge chairs.

Back to the airline experience!

On the way back from London on Oasis I found the experience to be much better. Although I still had a smaller seat, the entertainment system worked fine and the meals and drinks on board were pretty damn good for airline food.

It's a shame that the airline went into liquidation, as I think there is certainly a need for budget airlines to operate long hall flights.

AirAsia X now operate flights to London from Kuala Lumpur and V Australia is flying into the US from the east coast of Australia. Although I don't consider Virgin's Australian operations to be a true low cost carrier, any competition on popular routes is always good for the consumer!

Well budget travelers, that's all for today. Keep an eye out for the next post where I'll take a look at getting to and from some of the airports that I've been to, or a traveling to soon.

Travel Budget, Travel Well.

TheBudgetTravelGuy

No comments:

Post a Comment